WE'VE COME ACROSS nervous mums-to-be about having their very own INTIMATE pregnancy portraiture taken and have been asked a variety of questions that we’ve decided to compile them. Read on, they might sound familiar to you! (Images here were recently shot at our studio Topcat - privacy of client maintained)
1. HELP - I DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE SHOWING OFF MY BELLY BUT I DO WANT THOSE INTIMATE SHOTS I ALWAYS SEE!
Dear Mums – Nurul is the principal photographer for pregnancy portraits. There will only be the 2 of us (Nurul & Suhaimi) in the studio together with your partner. Portraits are professionally taken in our very own comfortable and private space so there’s no need to worry about sudden intrusion from outsiders because the whole place is secured and not shared with anyone else. If you prefer only female presence, then Nurul will personally handle the shots.
2. I AM EMBARASSED BY MY STRETCH MARKS AND CERTAINLY CAN'T DO ANY PREGNANCY PORTRAITS WITH THEM!
YES, YOU CAN! With creative lighting arrangements, shooting angles or use of props, you won't notice too much of those stretch marks. So, not to worry!
3. I’M NOT GOOD AT POSING AT ALL - WHAT MORE NOW THAT I'M PREGNANT!
You’ll be amazed at how much you’ll enjoy the session! This is a moment of bonding between you two (or 3!). There will be no “stiff acrobatic poses”! Just take on our directions as we use body language between couples, to effectively capture the quiet and intimate moments. Our focus is to achieve portraits that strongly depict the love between you, your partner and your baby.
4. MY PARTNER IS NOT COMFORTABLE WITH ME BARING MY BELLY.
You can have equally meaningful and intimate shots without having to bare your belly. It is just an option for couples. So don’t worry – you too will have memorable shots.
5. WHAT DO I WEAR FOR THE SHOOT? I DON'T HAVE THAT MANY MATERNITY CLOTHES.
Keep your portraits timeless and simple - there’s no need to bring colourful clothes or use accessories. Just simple black and white blouse/long skirts will do. We do not want distracting colours to steal the limelight from those emotional moments. Lightings will be used effectively to create shadows, accentuate features and produce moody, artistic and powerful images. Additional materials will be provided for you to wear or drape around during the shoot.
6. I HAVE 2 OTHER CHILDREN. CAN THEY COME, TOO?
Of course! This is a family affair. Involving your children in the portrait is a great way to prepare them in welcoming the new addition to the family. You will also be more comfortable with them around. Hug them, kiss them, or let them touch your belly – we’ll do the rest!
7. OKAY - COUNT ME IN! SO WHAT ARE THE DO's & DON'Ts I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE THE SHOOT?
- In preparation for the shoot, apply light makeup and DO have your hair done to counter bad hair days and fly-aways during the shoot! You CAN be glamorous and pregnant at the same time! When you look good, you'll feel good. And when you feel good, you'll enjoy being photographed!
- Wear lose clothings the day before and even on the day itself. This is to avoid those wrinkly marks on your skin caused by your clothings/undergarments.
- If you are bringing along smaller children, it would be good to have someone close who can attend to them while you and your partner are involved in the shoot;
- Let us know beforehand the type of photography/poses you are both comfortable with. This will enable us to do our homework and be prepared to direct the shoot within the confines of your preferences.
- Have a good rest the night before so you can totally enjoy the shoot and savour every moment of being a glamorous Mum!
- Do allow at least 2 hours - this includes small breaks in between so that you can have a relaxing and well-paced session. The best is not to time your other appointments too closely on this day to avoid all incoming phone calls and stress. This is your time together - a new kind of experience - we want you to enjoy it!
- Images taken will be posted to a private site where only you will have access to view them and then make your selections;
- Images given are in medium resolution - rights reserved, but will not be used for commercial purposes.